Flextronics AP LLC has in recent years developed a portfolio of patents for connected cars. This includes 79 patent families including 11 patents.
In the blog found here, patent analyst Dr Alex Lee of TechIPM (Boston) reviews these patents and uses the LIcensing Potential metric developed by Ambercite to identify the companies that Flextronics may be able to licence their patents to. This list is headed by Cisco and AT&T.
Licensing Potential is a metric developed by Ambercite that:
- Identifies all of the recently filed patents in an areas that are citationallly connected (directly or indirectly) to a given patent portfolio
- Identifies how similar these patents are to the patent portfolio
- Ranks how important these patents may be using citaiton analysis – more important patents are more likely be commercialised
- Combines the results of steps 2) and 3) to come up with a metric Licensing Potential
- Combines of the Licensing Potential for patents owned by the same owner
The graph you see above is the result of this analysis. In practice this analysis is straight forward to do – and Ambercite would be very open to discussions with other patent analysts about supplying the same capability – please contact us for further details.